Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Your elevator to the top is waiting!

"Could your elevator to the top... actually be down?"


  Read more...





I recently had the honor of speaking at an art conference in St. Louis. In the weeks leading up to the event I really wanted to hear what was on God's heart for the artist of all disciplines I would be sharing with.

This presentation will be the topic of my discussions over the next few weeks. Each point of the presentation touches on a truth that is relevant to those of you seeking to unleash your creativity both in your art as well as in the market place.


While at the event, the facilitators had planned to queue up and show a trailer from a video on the cost of human trafficking. However, the preview would not load...so the person introducing the video merely shared a brief moment in regards to inviting the conference guests back for the actual movie screening later that week.


Immediately, I knew that I must set aside what I intended to share and told the media arts co-coordinator to instead cue up images from my own art portfolio. This was "the last thing" I had intended to share or even discuss. It was just a sampling of my work to share with the event sponsor if he wanted evidence of my work for any reason.


For those unfamiliar to my art, I make what I have coined as "Advocacy Art" this means I use I make art that can be considered prophetic or futuristic in nature. (Depending on your frame of reference the terms prophetic implies that the significance showcases the heart of God, while futuristic is a secular term, implying that there is a spiritual or other worldly connotation. Bottom line is my art for the last several years has been a series based on my travels following the apparel production process around the globe. (71 countries and counting!)


Bringing copies of this work, was actually God-sighting(seeing God in action)... I was able to share more about the my process in making art with the group. The work comprises of images I shot while on location that display the indigenous people in context, not just the slick travel images we might all be familiar with. It shows them as real people that God loves dearly...warts and all, just like you and me! The images are then assembled into handmade fine art books that reflect the unique country the work reflects. I refer to these as my art of intercession, that is my prayers for the people and the country made visible.


While traveling around the globe one thing I have been most cognizant of, is. the role of human trafficking plays. Did you know that it tends to follow the development of immerging countries and especially the link with the apparel production process.


Developing countries are ripe for those who specialize literally in the buying and selling of souls. My art contends with this global issue, that is why naturally my heart was tugged when the video would not queue up. I had to honor this message by sharing several of my stories and intercession insights with the group of artists that were present.


By now you might be wondering....so what does this have to do with mentoring? Actually a lot! Your success and your career are not ultimately about YOU... it is about what role you can play in making a difference where ever you are.


Mother Theresa once said, “I cannot change the world, but I can toss a stone across the waters and leave a ripple." This humble servant did so much more than that. What she did was love the unlovable. She was a servant who tapped into the heart of God and did what she could in the locations God placed her.


This week’s reflection assignment is about practicing where you are at being a servant. It also is about if you know God, seeking His heart for what he has seeded deep within your heart.


Trust me, I went to those countries I visited in my prayer closet long before I ever set foot in their country! My art became an expression of that devotion in prayer to seeking God's heart. Out of it came a career I never could have planned for myself!


So how about you? What touches your heart? Widows, orphans, homeless, a country or a people group? Your assignment this week is get into your prayer closet if you have one, if don't have a clue what I am talking about, then why not getting into your heart and see where it is pulled when certain topics come up. I will give you a hint, chances are God put that soft spot there and He literally died to talk to you more about it. (sorry could not resist the giggle)


This week, find one honest website dedicated to what tugged at your heart ...learn more on the subject as you read, and seek to find what role you can play in tossing a stone across the water. Trust me for more reasons than one you will be glad you did! Write me a comment or post of what action you took. Share it with your accountability partner. I know one thing for sure...you cannot out give God.


Here are several verses I challenge you to look up...
www.biblegateway.com (free bible look-up)

Jeremiah 29:11
Jeremiah 33:3
Psalm 25:14
Micah 6:8


Proverbs 22:4 This is for those of you who are honest enough to say, "But you WANT it to be about you" I know that is where some of you might be, I know I was and frankly when I am being a brat still struggle with wanting it to be all about me...so why not check out this promise! It says you can have it all. LOL!!!! I will give you a disclaimer, your heart will be soften by God as you turn even a glance towards Him and in no time you will be running back for more of His love, approval and provision!


Until next week...Blessings and safe Holiday-4th of July to those stateside!

Kathleen